Saturday, 9 March 2013

SWEETPEA DT INSPIRATION


This week is Variation week over at Sweetpea Dt inspiration blog.  For anyone who hasn't a clue what Variation week is - it's a week of inspiration from all members of the DT team showing their particular take on the same stamp/image.  



This week's chosen stamp is DREAMING OF AQUAMARINE TIDES by Katerina Koukiotis available here.  There is also a plate featuring this image and 3 others available here.

My inspiration was limited by several things.  Firstly I have slipped some discs in my back and at least one of them is trapping a nerve so I am also suffering from Sciatica - hence any crafting has been very limited and things have had to be done a lot quicker than normal.  I usually like to play with ideas before finalising on the one I like the most!



I started my project by colouring the image and thought I'd go black and white for quickness - thinking that black and white would work with any papers - so would be able to save time by not spending hours sorting out colours etc.

Firstly, I coloured the skin tones with the Cool greys which looked OK and quite like a black and white photograph.  Then a day or two later I thought I would use the Warm greys for the eyes and lips - which I did.  Having coloured the eyes and lips I was unsure the cool greys worked that well so I decided to use one of the palest warm greys and completely cover previous colouring - warming the skin tones to work with the eyes and lips.



Still unsure I deliberately left the shell and girls nails white.  I decided to keep the contract and just add a little stickles glitter glue to the shell edges.

Feeling the image still needed something but not sure what - I decided to add some PVA pearl glue for faux pearls, adding these to the girl's eye lashes and hair strands.

Having finished the image I was left with the dilemma of WHAT NEXT!  Well I thought about making a note book using a tag and various connotations of this idea.  Having not been able to decide all day what to do I decided to leave.

This morning I remembered I had partly re-covered my telephone book but had left the project uncompleted as it just didn't work with anything I was working with at the time.  Today, I decided that I was going to make it work after all black and white would work with anything!

OK, not quite convinced plodded on regardless.  After re-attaching the index papers back to the cover it was just a case of decorating!

Hope you like it!  Overall I quite like it although I would have made the frame a bit more prominent.



The variations is the photo's are because some where taken on top of the photo tent and others in the tent!

Techniques:
USED:     Re: covered an old address book

Medium:   Copics, White pen, Stickles glitter glue, PVA glue
Papers:    Bo Bunny

Dies used:  Spellbinders
Embellishments:   Various flowers, gems

Best wishes,
Challenges I'm entering this into 
Avadares - spring
CardCraftersCircle - Vintage flair
Clearly istamps- die cuts
Creativecorner - go green
Delicious doodles - die cuts
Digihaven - green
Hotshot craft - Anything but a card
PattiesCreations - green
PolkaDoodles - spring flowers
QKRStampede - green
SimplyCreate - green